Hot Cross Buns
(Makes approximately 18-20 mini buns)
4 cups (500 grams) plain flour
½ teaspoon (2 grams) salt
2 teaspoons (9 grams) mixed spice
¼ cup (50 grams) caster sugar
50 grams butter, cut into cubes
1 cup sultanas
3 teaspoons (10 grams) dried yeast
1 cup milk (200 ml)
GLAZE AND CROSSES: 3 tablespoons flour, golden syrup for brushing
Zip lock bags
Metal butter knives
1. Heat oven to 200°C
2. Tip the flour into a bowl and stir in salt, mixed spice and sugar.
3. Rub in butter with finger tips until it resembles bread crumbs.
4. Stir in dried fruit and yeast.
5. Fill jug with milk and warm till hot. Crack eggs into milk and whisk rapidly.
6. Pour egg milk mixture into flour and using a butter knife, mix the ingredients to a moist dough.
7. Divide the dough and then shape the dough into buns on lightly floured surface. Buns slightly larger than a golf ball.
8. Space side by side on baking tray and cover loosely with cling film or clean, dry towel. If time permits leave in warm place until double in size.
9. Mix the 3 tablespoons of flour with 2 tablespoons water to make a paste. Pour paste into zip lock bag and make a nick in one of the corners. Pipe crosses on top of each bun.
10. Bake for 12 minutes or until risen and golden.
11. Brush with maple or golden syrup.
12. Serve as is or toast and serve with butter.