Kangaroo Bush Burgers
(Makes 6-8 small patties)
400 grams kangaroo mince
½ red onion
1 clove garlic
½ cup breadcrumbs
Handful fresh parsley
½ tablespoon bush seasoning
Oil for frying
To serve – wholemeal roll, tomato, cheese, lettuce, red onion, chutney, or desired sauce
Large mixing bowl
Fry pan/electric fry pan
Measuring cups and spoons
Kids safe knife
1. Finely chop garlic, parsley and onion and add to mixing bowl with meat.
2. Grate carrot and add to bowl.
3. Add egg, breadcrumbs and bush spices.
4. Using your hands mix thoroughly and then shape into patties.
5. Heat little oil in fry pan and cook on medium heat. Cook on one side first for 5-8 minutes, flip once and cook on other side for 3-5 minutes or until juices run clear. Add a slice of cheese if desired.
6. Serve warm in a toasted bun with lots of salad and your preferred sauce.
About the Author
Karen Koutsodontis – The Travelling Kitchen
Karen is a qualified food technology teacher, with more than 10 years’ experience, teaching food to secondary students. Karen now runs The Travelling Kitchen, where they love teaching about food and healthy eating to students after finding that many students arrive at secondary school with limited knowledge of what food and healthy eating is all about. Karen believes that preparing and eating healthy food should follow us through our entire life, so why not start teaching preschool and primary school children from day dot how to cook and choose healthy foods?
Karen champions empowering children to look after their health and bodies from a very young age.
Find out more about The Travelling Kitchen.